GMA News January 2, 2013 2:25pm
“Finish what your mother started.”
This was how two
progressive party-list lawmakers challenged President Benigno “Noynoy”
Aquino III to continue the hunt for the late dictator Ferdinand Marcos'
embezzled wealth after the head of the commission in-charge of the
search said his agency will already quit the chase.
Bayan
Muna party-list Rep. Neri Colmenares said the Presidential Commission
on Good Government (PCGG) should not back down on the pursuit for
Marcos' supposed ill-gotten wealth, despite financial and political
challenges expressed by the agency's current head, Andres Bautista.
“Ang
leksyon na matutunan kung ihihinto ang paghanap ng Marcos wealth is
that crime pays and if you steal big, you can get away with it,”
Colmenares said in a text message.
On Tuesday, Bautista said the PCGG is set to wind down its near-30-year efforts
to recover the $10 billion allegedly amassed by the Marcos family
during the late dictator's two decades in power, despite the fact that
more than half of the amount is still missing.
The PCGG
chairman cited limited financing from the government, the high cost of
litigation and the return of Marcos' wife and children to power as
primary reasons why his office will terminate the search.
The
PCGG was created in 1986 by the late President Corazon Aquino—the
incumbent's mother—after she was catapulted into the presidency by a
popular mass uprising known as the “EDSA Revolution” which toppled
Marcos' dictatorship.
'Bautista should quit'
Colmenares,
who was jailed and tortured during the Marcos regime, said Aquino's
government owes it to the human rights victims during the Martial Law
years to continue to search for the ill-gotten wealth.
“Dapat
ibalik ang nakaw na yaman sa mamamayan. Dapat i-prosecute ang PCGG
officials and prosecutors na nagpahina o nagpatalo sa mga kaso,” the
party-list lawmaker said.
ACT Teachers party-list Rep.
Antonio Tinio, for his part, said Bautista should just resign if the
PCGG chairperson is no longer inclined to perform his mandate.
“Bautista
should quit his job as PCGG chair since it appears that he does not
have the desire and will to pursue the Marcos ill-gotten wealth,” Tinio
said in a separate text message.
He likewise urged
Aquino to exercise political will and make a categorical commitment to
continue searching for the Marcos wealth.
“The stakes
are much higher—recovery of the Marcos ill-gotten wealth, justice for
the Filipino people and setting the historical records straight. The
onus on Pnoy is to finish the task his mother started in 1986 but failed
to complete,” Tinio said.
Colmenares, for his part,
vowed to block any moves in Congress to dissolve the PCGG. “Haharangin
ng Bayan Muna kapag may nag-file ng bill abandoning the pursuit of the
Marcos ill-gotten wealth,” he said.
Leyte Rep. Sergio Apostol already filed a bill to abolish the PCGG in January last year. It is currently pending before the House committee on government reorganization. — BM, GMA News
Related Posts
SONA 2013 Live Stream: President Benigno "Noynoy" Aquino III - July 22, 2013
21 July 2013balangaw0President Aquino Challenge the Atenians on his Speech - July 20, 2013
20 July 2013balangaw0Pinoy priest Jose Maria to be beatified in Spain in October - July 20, 2013
20 July 2013balangaw0proposed uniforms of PNP presents at CopWalk - July 5, 2013
04 July 2013balangaw0
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment
Click to see the code!
To insert emoticon you must added at least one space before the code.